Bounties for the Oceans
The Bounties Network is partnering with MakeDao to address the state of our oceans and incentivize plastic cleanup action on a local and global level.
Some dire stats from the UN:
- 80% of all pollution in the ocean comes from people on land.
- 8 million tonnes of plastic per year ends up in the ocean, wreaking havoc on wildlife, fisheries and tourism.
- Plastic pollution costs the lives of 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals per year.
- Fish eat plastic, and we eat the fish.
- Plastic causes $8 billion in damage to marine ecosystems each year.
With Bounties for the Ocean, we are asking people everywhere to submit verifiable proof of their direct plastic cleanup contribution as a way of fostering widespread and long-term behavioral shift. Do not depend on centralized organizations, go out there and do it yourselves.
Definition of Done & Requirements
- Upload a photo of yourself with plastic you have cleaned up from a park, beach, street, riverbank etc.
- The photo must be at the cleanup site, with the day's newspaper, a piece of paper with the date on it or camera date stamp (Instagram has this as a filter if needed)
- Live tweet your image, tag @MakerDao and @ethBounties using #bountiesfortheoceans and upload a screenshot
- Yes, you can make a difference
- Each correct submission will be rewarded with 10DAI on acceptance
- It is important to continue efforts beyond World Ocean Day and curb your use of plastic as much as possible in daily activities